Strange behaviour in 3.6

What kind of DMX devices do you use? How do you use them? Have a problem configuring it with MediaMaster? Have a tip to share on how to use it?
ALL about lighting desks, controllers, adapters, LED fixtures etc.. and ArKaos goes here!

Moderator: Jdoniaute

Strange behaviour in 3.6

Postby dag55 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:48 pm

I have run into a strange problem when controlling Arkaos 3.6 over DMX, that every other layer do not work every other time. Example: When i have four layers active, sometimes just layer 1 and 3 is giving any output, even though the dimmer sliders is moving in Akaos but when I reload the layers they work and if I reload them again they don´t, etc.
I have been able to reproduce this problem on three sytems. All the system is running XPpro, Swedish.
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

Postby jfitzpat » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:43 am

I just tried Swedish XP and could not reproduce your problem in the lab here. How are you getting the DMX into your system (I'm broadcasting ArtNet to the system).

-jjf
jfitzpat
Normal user

Postby dag55 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm running MagicQ on the same computer, but my colleague had exact the same problem, when running via a Entec DMX Pro USB, from a Strand desk.
And some feedback from the developers on this subject, please.
//Dagge
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

Postby FraKtus » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:53 pm

We are working a lot with MagicQ or other consoles like GrandMa, Congo/ETC ... and I see no reason why this would occur...

If you are working with the Enttec maybe it's connected to the DMX itself but we are not aware of such problems with this interface, would it be possible for you to try this over ArtNet ?

Do you mean that by example if you have layer 1 and 3 running they stop working when you launch layer 4 even if you don't change anything to layer 1 and 3 ?
FraKtus

Postby jfitzpat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:55 am

If he is broadcasting to the loopback address there isn't much chance for a DMX data error. We send ArtNet packets about twice as fast as MagicQ and I've never seen ArKaos miss or hiccup on one.

Something I have seen with the 3.6 GPU version is that some effects do not dim properly, at least on our nvidea card. Perhaps it is the content, more than control that is a factor.

Another possiblity would be a network problem. WinSock typically broadcasts datagrams three times, so even if the applications are running on the same machine, if it is plugged into a busy LAN, packets could be arriving out of order (I haven't checked with 3.6 FC5, but previous versions did not appear to honor the packet sequence ID - not surprising, virtually no ArtNet devices do). If the system is set LTP, there could be a probelm. This wouldn't explain the reported friends problem, which seemed DMX->serial->Arkaos.

Again, I do lots of layers all the time. I frequently use the same basic image like a gobo and then fly around multiple copies, fade from quasi random to lockstep, change colors, 5 fade out while the last one grows center and fills the screen, that sort of thing. The show I just programmed ran at least 50 times without incident before we packed it up to go to Austin. That's the same show I just tried with ArKaos loaded on Swedish XP in our QA lab, again, no problem - but I was broadcasting from another machine via ArtNet.

-jjf
jfitzpat
Normal user

Postby dag55 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Do you mean that by example if you have layer 1 and 3 running they stop working when you launch layer 4 even if you don't change anything to layer 1 and 3 ?

No. Like this: I have ( for example) four JPGs loaded at layer 1, 2, 3, and 4 and the dimmer set to zero for each channel. When dimming up the channels in turn, first channel 1 , works, then channel2, not works, channel3, works, cannel4, not works. When I move the intensity encoder, I can see the intensity slider for the non working layer, in Arkaos, move, but no output from the layer. Have I made myself clear? I really do not think it have anything with DMX or ArtNet to do, as the problem have occured with both DMX via USB and via ArtNet (on same PC). It have to do with Arkaos 3.6, since the problem have not occured in 3.5.
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

Postby dag55 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm

After some deep investigation and testing on different systems, it seems like we have a corrupt .kos file causing this strange behaviour. We will make some further tests with this .kos on our different machines, to be sure this is the root of the problem and will come back as soon as we have some reliable results.
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

Postby jfitzpat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:47 pm

dag55 wrote:

No. Like this: I have ( for example) four JPGs loaded at layer 1, 2, 3, and 4 and the dimmer set to zero for each channel. When dimming up the channels in turn, first channel 1 , works, then channel2, not works, channel3, works, cannel4, not works. When I move the intensity encoder, I can see the intensity slider for the non working layer, in Arkaos, move, but no output from the layer. Have I made myself clear? I really do not think it have anything with DMX or ArtNet to do, as the problem have occured with both DMX via USB and via ArtNet (on same PC). It have to do with Arkaos 3.6, since the problem have not occured in 3.5.

I have not seen this, but Marty Canavan tells me he has seen this a couple of times. If you manage to narrow it down, I'd appreciate hearing the cause and/or solution.

I agree, I think it is doubtful that it is your particular DMX/ArtNet source.

-jjf
jfitzpat
Normal user

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for Show/Lighting