Hardware Help

What kind of DMX devices do you use? How do you use them? Have a problem configuring it with MediaMaster? Have a tip to share on how to use it?
ALL about lighting desks, controllers, adapters, LED fixtures etc.. and ArKaos goes here!

Moderator: Jdoniaute

Hardware Help

Postby dlights » Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Greetings guys!

Stop me if you've heard this one before... ' I am looking to build a ....'

Just kidding. I am specc'ing out some parts and had a couple questions so I can put my money in the proper places.

Does Arkaos draw any benefit from a multi-chip Motherboard? Some software does, some does not. After speaking with the Arkaos rep at a demo a couple weeks back, he DID mention that Arkaos does use multiple cores, so I was curious if that could be spread across multiple chips.

For GPU, I have read that using multiple GPU's doesn't really help and in fact can slump performance on subsequent cards after the first because of the copy time across the cards. Does Arkaos support SLI or Crossfire at all? I know the Pre-Viz software (which will also be hosted on this machine) doesn't benefit from SLI either, but can be helped by a beefier graphics card.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers!

'D'
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' --Ghandi
dlights
Normal user

Re: Hardware Help

Postby PhasedMedia » Mon May 26, 2014 4:16 am

Hi Dlights,
Multi cpu- Would begin to help if many effects running and many heavily compressed files playing at once. CPU has very rairly been a cause of bottleneck for me (single i7 quad).
Multi-cpu motherboads will generally have more space for ram though, you want as much as possible. Pref larger than show library size.
SLI/Xfire- Tested this (years ago tho, probably worth retest) and didn't get enough improvement/cost. Preferred spending on best single card in budget for outputs. Also use pre-viz (MSD gold) on same pc, which doesn't benefit from sli/xfire either.
Library drive- raid0 ssd in hot-swap bays, or pcie ssd drive.
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Re: Hardware Help

Postby dlights » Mon May 26, 2014 4:44 am

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. Was looking at the i7 4930k and loading that puppy up with 32gb ram(leaving 4 slots in reserve) and Nvidia 780ti for the time being and then hitting one of the big dog ATI cards when some funds come available next year.
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' --Ghandi
dlights
Normal user

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for Show/Lighting