is there better codec than H 264 ?

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

is there better codec than H 264 ?

Postby arno » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:54 am

hello,
I work with a mac book pro (2,4 Ghz, Intel Core I5), 6 giga of ram, an external hard disk (7200 tours) and your arkaos grand VJ in the DEMO version.
For my jobs, professionals ask me to have images of very good quality. So, I have forgotten Photo J Peg in 640X480 and now I work with H 264 1024X576 (it means 16/9) videos. It works very well, but each time I want to do a playback, a reverse, my videos are stopping, bugging (sorry, I don't know the englishs words for "saccader").
I know that it's very difficult to resolve this problem, but I wanted to know if you had an idea.

PS : I have tried Modul8 with the same images and I've got exactly the same problem.
I have finally decided today to buy arkaos Grand VJ, perhaps because I'm on arkaos since 2003 and also because I find that your new software, with the possibility of working in SYNTH mode or in MIXER mode is a very good idea and offer me everything I want. Thank you very much everyone of you
arnaud
arno
Normal user

Re: is there better codec than H 264 ?

Postby pierre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 pm

The problem with H264 is that it's meant to be played forward at its original speed, because it uses time-based compression techniques, which actually doesn't fit what you want to do at all.
If you want to play your content backward and/or play with the playback speed, you should definitely go for PhotoJPEG or any codec that ables 1 keyframe / frame.
pierre

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing