Rewiring abelton midi to arkoas on 2 mac book pros

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Rewiring abelton midi to arkoas on 2 mac book pros

Postby crisycool » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi guys,

Im wondering has anyone experience here or is there a previous topic on rewiring midi data from abelton on a mac pro to arkoas on a seperate mac pro?

I can do it easy on the same mac but now i need to actually recieve midi data from the djs seperate mac.

Im thinking of doing via his sound card and my sound card.

can anyone help me?

cheers

chris
crisycool

Re: Rewiring abelton midi to arkoas on 2 mac book pros

Postby Moabyte » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:46 pm

You need to setup an Ethernet network between the 2 macs and use the midi network to send and receive midi between 2 or more macs on a network. You can use a crossover cable for 2 macs or a Hub for 3 or more. You can also use wifi, but its better to use a wired connection to avoid dropouts that could be caused by interference. You setup the midi network with the Audio/Midi utility in the Utilities folder. Google midi over Ethernet OSX and you should find the help you need.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby crisycool » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:42 pm

I have an maudio firewire soundcard.. and i am testing sending midi from abelton to the soundcard then rerouting the midi from the midi out to the midi in on my soundcard (effectivly creating a midi feedback loop) and it seems to be working.. abelton is sending out midi data to the soundcard and arkoas is picking up the midi data from the soundcard.

so in theory this should work just the same when i do it between to seperate soundcards and macs.. i will have to wait until tomorrow to test it.. but if i am right i may have solved the problem.

One strange thing that is happening tho is when i open up arkoas the audio in abelton speeds so fast it sounds like chipmunks.. it happens everytime weather i use the soundcard or not.. has anyone ever had this problem? it never used to happen me with the old arkoas VJ?
crisycool

Postby Moabyte » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 am

GVJ likes to change the sample rate of your sound card to 44.1, which is whata causing the chipmunk sound. After you launch GVJ you need to change the sample rate in Live back to what it was, 48 or 96.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing