Work Flow Question... Running a backup server.

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos MediaMaster with other users.

Moderator: Jdoniaute

Work Flow Question... Running a backup server.

Postby dlights » Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

I have a couple of clients interested in using my server in a corporate setting. It won't be for mission critical presentations, more just set dressing for a couple of side screens, but I still need to run a backup server. For ease of programming, how do you deal with the second server if you want it to mimic exactly the main server. Do you set it to the same artnet DMX address but a different IP? Basically, I want to act like I am just talking to one server but if it goes south, then video guys swap to my backup in the playback pro and I don't have to do anything funky on the lighting desk. Or do I need to program talking to both servers?

My Lighting Desk is Chamsys MQ100 and everything is talking on Artnet.

Thank you in advance.

'D'
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' --Ghandi
dlights
Normal user

Re: Work Flow Question... Running a backup server.

Postby nick c » Wed May 06, 2015 10:11 am

You hit the nail on the head, setup the second server with the same Artnet address and use a switcher.

I do the same work as you i.e. conferences, product launches and award ceremonies using either our a Studio or stadium servers and have had no problems at all.

It is always a good idea to run a backup, but over the many years I have been using Arkaos I have run for long periods (16 hours a day for seven straight days) with out any server problems.

It is always wise to use a UPS as you never know when a power breaker is going to trip or some idiot unplugs your power supply.
Nick Calthrop

Technical & Creative Director
Lighting/Video/Lasers/Stage Design

Mobile +44 (0) 7974 091 279
Skype nick.calthrop
Email nickcalthrop@yahoo.co.uk

Failing to plan, is planning to fail!!!!!
nick c
Expert user

Return to MediaMaster - DMX video software for lighting designers