What's the ceapest MIDI controller?

What kind of MIDI devices do you use ? How do you use them ? Have a problem configuring it with GrandVJ? Have a tip to share on how to use it ?
ALL about MIDI keyboards, controllers, adapters etc.. and ArKaos goes here !

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

What's the ceapest MIDI controller?

Postby johnnysclub » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 pm

I've just started using GrandVJ,
and i want to buy a midi controllor,but i don't want to spent more than €200/$250.
So what do you think what's the best option for me?

Greetings,
Johnnysclub(Victor)
johnnysclub

Re: What's the ceapest MIDI controller?

Postby PhasedMedia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:50 am

Hi Victor, the cheapest midi controllers suitable for GrandVJ are
Korg nano controllers -3 versions
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/software_controllers/nano/sc_nano.asp
Berhringer BCF2000
http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Re: What's the ceapest MIDI controller?

Postby wilson.pepper » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:41 am

HI Victor:

I would not ever consider using a "Cheap midi controller" with Grand VJ. I have purchased or evaluated nearly ever cheap midi controller ever made - and what you get is terrible "feel" in the faders, on/off buttons without feel, rotary knobs with rough pots so you cannot make Arkaos perform smoothly.

With cheap controllers, it's all one big piece of junk. The only cheap controller to use is <maybe> the O2 shorty two octave keyboard to use while working on an airliner. Otherwise its all junk.

If you want to maximize the potential of Grand VJ, and have a wonderful time doing so, you need a product like this:
http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardwar ... php#design

The ohm64 is a nice piece of work. Every item is of highest quality. It will show in your performance ! I guarantee it, as I have been an Arkaos user since 1994/5 ! and believe me when I say that I have tried every cheap midi controller (and every expensive one too) - been on professional music and corporate tours for the past 29 years of my life.

Companies have given me tons of product to "try" out, but compared to the ohm 64, none are worth buying. For every dollar I have wasted on "el cheapo china" MIDI controllers . . . . . .

Don't do it. Whether you buy an ohm 64 or not, I don't care, just don't get a unit with the minimum quality standards, the quality of your show will thank you for it, and it's much cheaper in the long run than purchasing cheap ones over and over. Believe ME, $250 usd goes down the drain pretty quick on some of this crap.

No, i do not work for Livid Instruments

Wilson
Your mileage may vary !
wilson.pepper

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for VJ/DJ