Future Feature Wishlist - please add yours!

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Future Feature Wishlist - please add yours!

Postby Supermarket » Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Having used GrandVJ on a daily basis for the past few weeks, I have grown to love it very dearly. INevitably, there are a few features though that I would LOVE to see included in future versions... some of which I have muttered about in other threads. I've collected most of them below, and encourage other heavy users of GrandVJ to add theirs to this list!

Here goes...

1. Saving of a file also saves the current set up of channels (and their cued contents)

2. Position presets for Triplehead2Go users (ie, divisions of 1/3 and 2/3 areas horizontally)

3. Ability to pause/freeze any given layer (and still have the paused frame visible)

4. Ability to 'scratch' the selected video layer back & forth (for example, with a NuVJ controller or similar scratchpad interface)

5. Improved stability of sound sync for long clips outputing audio from within GrandVJ

6. Ability to give names to banks and layers (in addition to the numerical system)

7. Ability to use 3rd party FX, (ie. FreeFrame compatible)

8. Effects selectable from a pulldown list, rather than cycling through them.

...it is possible that some of these may be achievable by means I'm yet to discover... if so, please enlighten me as to how! Thanks...
Supermarket
Confirmed user

Postby DMJ Moabyte » Tue May 12, 2009 4:34 pm

+ 1 on 4, can you look into what it would take to map the Denon hs5500 and hs3700 and other type controllers with spinning platters? Or can it be done with Max/MSP?

+1 for 5, this will be more important in the future as AV acts emerge.

+100 for 7, Free frame 1.5, Quartz Comps and Processing comps, please please please please please please ....

+1 for 8, but I want to add that for midi learn and setting a channel a right click pop up to go straight to lean or to enter a controller number would be super fast, that window that comes up is a pain. If you could leave it floating or make it a tab window that would be better. There are jsut too may steps to set controller numbers.

I want to add that it would be cool to have an wave form, LFO and oscillators section too that we could latch to., I see this in the automation section so maybe you all are workign on it.

I've been using a program called Bidule, http://www.plogue.com/ Its new and in beta, but its made working with automation in Grand and Arkaos or anything that needs midi automation a dream. Live is a good programn too, but this program talks to all programs, think of it as the glue you need to use the features you want from audio and midi programs you have. Its eliminated 3 programs I used to use, it also lets me talk to all my other PCs and Macs over Ethernet. Finally, everything in my studio is talking nicely and the midi delay is gone.

good times ahead, put your fun hat on.
DMJ Moabyte

Postby scm212 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm

•Ability to pause/freez and still have frame visible
•LFO's
•Automation
•Ability to record - both the playback and a quicktime file (ala Union maybe)
•FreeFrame

Thanks!
scm212
Normal user

Postby shahar » Tue May 12, 2009 6:13 pm

- sync clip's speed to BPM tapping.

- layer's blend modes (add, lighten, multiply ...)

- Ability to pause

- freeframe

shahar

Postby jcbklyny » Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm

The ability to Pause has been fixed in 1.1

Just map a key to the speed control and set the min and max values to 50%.

As for a wishlist,

- Drag and drop a folder of pictures into a single cell for playback.

& Ability to play audio from formats other then MOV.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Envelopes

Postby VJAC » Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Transparency Envelopes, basically ATTACK and RELEASE. Perhaps this is part of the whole automation idea. But the RELEASE factor is something I DESPERATELY miss from the original Arkaos. . . and I keep waiting. patiently, knowing you said you've already been working on it.
It would be an awful waste of space. . .
VJAC

Postby Zowan » Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Nice would be also:
correct aspect ratio of the output window.
auto move layer with variable (auto move) x,y,z + size x,y with min an max level
Zowan

Postby Lunalaguna » Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Resolving the issue with long latency on audio input in Vista.
Sync. clips with audio input or bmp tapping.
The ability to have clip name under each cell.

Last but not least... free beers! 8)
Lunalaguna

Postby superchunk2000 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 pm

I would like a Lock on the Visual control panel.

I would like to set the speed, loop, segment etc options of the clip and lock their positions for the layer, like all the other control panels!

This would allow me to mix sets/banks of clips easily to music. The music could change and I could easily change the main parameter to effect all the clips in sets.

I would also like the play /pause thing sorted out properly.
superchunk2000
Normal user

Postby lighttch » Thu May 28, 2009 5:58 pm

The ability to map a key to 50% speed is a "quick fix" I woukld still like the ability to click on the pause button on the layer and have the image freeze rathar than fade to black.

Andrew
lighttch
Advanced user

Postby lighttch » Thu May 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Another would be an effect that simulates an LED wall and or Curtain. I've tried building a mask, but thave yet to get good results. If anyone else had managed to create a good masc I would welcome some help with this.

Andrew
lighttch
Advanced user

more banks!

Postby kitchenman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:45 pm

newbee ... would like to know if more banks are on the way ... for my application I have used up all my slots! ...
kitchenman

Postby M-.-n » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:29 pm

right click on your matrix bank and expand it's size...
M-.-n

MORE HORIZONTAL BANKS i.e > 16

Postby kitchenman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Sorry I should of been more clear.. I'm looking for a matrix 32/4 or 64/4. Is this possible?
kitchenman

Postby M-.-n » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

menu option > Set Matrix Size :)
M-.-n

Postby kitchenman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:35 pm

umm ... menu/option matrix size still seems to have a max of 16? .. I cant change it!
kitchenman

Postby M-.-n » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:39 pm

mmm. you seem to be right. Sorry. I didn't know there was a limitation there. We'll up it in 1.2.

my Bad :(
M-.-n

Postby kitchenman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:59 pm

cool! Thanks. Do you have a date for 1.2?
kitchenman

My request list uncut

Postby hypnotica » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 am

I noticed the AB feature is awsome. It would be great to have AB and mix preview like nuvj. Also Preview box extract from window. Also need live frame view when setting IN/OUT points of video segment.

Video Matrix: Have split matrix Half assignable to A and the other for B like on NUVJ.

Set Clip AB or nothing preset defaults.

Search Tab: a quick search of filenames below the file section.

Add the trash can to drag out visual trash.

Layer lock(s) to prevent accidental changes.

Dual video out using secondary screen & firewire

Position Box Limitations: If you rotate on the Z axe need more strach power to fill the screen.

Layer state: issues need an option that if a midi slider is set off and a clip is sent to that layer priority is the slider in certain cases.

Inverted effects file system to match the dark skin. white text on dark is good for me.

Interface option: Info box, preview and layers should work like the other tabs to be able to move it around and extract.

Option Interface: In the layers section missing the effects and copy mode icons when assigned.

Option to save layers settings and clips links would be nice.

BUG: the pause should have a direct impact with copy mode so that pause in one case blackout and in other a freeze frame.

BUG: midi mapping of loop keys forward reverse are all linked to on key.

Interface Option: Disable Mouse over popup's.

Video source camera pause can have a freeze frame effect.

Mask Mode: Add Typical Video Mixer Masks selectable in bottom box (ex: right left up down wipe or center or box or circle also invertable).

Bug: Masking using layer mode with jpg, png, bmp when zooming in and out it shows frame. Please have the option to bind a mask with layer.

Title Effect: please add BPM Sync Off/On like comic effect (like on panasonic video mixers). Option to set mate color to affect also comic border.

Sapia Tone effect: Should have level control and contrast control to adjust the orange with blacks.

Invert Effect: Should have control for intensity and option invert color choices.

Sphere Inside effect: need to start at default slow x rotation and y at zero would be smoother.

Cropping effect could have negative value to mask out a clip.

Numeric values next to certain sliders like brightness control. Plus double click on the icon to reset value to default.

Master blackout where is it?

Option to hide menubar and titlebar (like on windows media player and to give it a some hardware feel and look).

Drag to bank file.vjbank doesn't work. Please support it.

Drag from windows a shortcut link file not supported. It would be great if it would work.

Interface i would put those right and left arrows to switch from bank like on the effects section in large the size of the matrix.

Interface option: Right click clear effects or visuals of bank like in nuvj.

Interface option: Naming Banks

Latch option would be great on mixer mode. Even for the play pause

Midi: Needs global key assignment. ex controller with 2 knows can control 4 settings. Software puts arrow like on the fx scroll and know will assume it's control.

Automation Slide show with dissolve.

Visual Control: Set Multiple Mark points.

Saved Project & Toggle Display option to have black screen ratter than the white flash.

Question and support with jog wheel for clip playback control & scratch? :idea:
Last edited by hypnotica on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Over 10 years of Visuals Stimulations!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby lighttch » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 am

Another feature that would be nice is to have the position/ size tab be assignable as a master over all layers along with a mask, so the whole output could be masked for an unusual shaped screens.
lighttch
Advanced user

Postby newdendrite » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Freeframe support, please!
newdendrite

screen size

Postby kalloth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 pm

some way of mapping an output to part of a screen by pixels and previewing just that part, most led screens only use part of a 1024x768 output head, and the ability to output on three seperate 1024x768 heads instead of 1 3076x786
kalloth

MIDI CHANNELs to LAYERs

Postby P-Lab » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:11 pm

MIDI CHANNEL 1 > LAYER 1
MIDI CHANNEL 2 > LAYER 2
MIDI CHANNEL 3 > LAYER 3

VJAMM users will understand this option !

In a ABLETON Live / GrandVJ rewired configuration, Playing a note in CH1 would trigger a visual in LAYER1,.. and so on !
Could it be possible?

I think it's the biggest actual limitation of GrandVJ , for A/V performance.

Merci Bonsoir,
Pascal
NETWORK-ERROR.com
http://network-error.com
P-Lab

Re: MIDI CHANNELs to LAYERs

Postby alchemist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:17 am

P-Lab wrote:MIDI CHANNEL 1 > LAYER 1
MIDI CHANNEL 2 > LAYER 2
MIDI CHANNEL 3 > LAYER 3

In a ABLETON Live / GrandVJ rewired configuration, Playing a note in CH1 would trigger a visual in LAYER1,.. and so on !
Could it be possible?

Merci Bonsoir,
Pascal

It's already possible through MIDI mapping ;)
alchemist
Expert user

Re: MIDI CHANNELs to LAYERs

Postby P-Lab » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:28 am

Really ?
I really would like to know the best way to do that !

Imagine I want to trigger simultaneously two visuals on two differents layers 1 & 2 !
I actually need to play layer1, change the current active layer from 1 to 2, and play layer2, no?

(in my case, I use midi cc to select & stop layers, affected to Korg nanokontrol buttons)

Merci d'avance,
Pascal

alchemist wrote:
P-Lab wrote:MIDI CHANNEL 1 > LAYER 1
MIDI CHANNEL 2 > LAYER 2
MIDI CHANNEL 3 > LAYER 3

Could it be possible?

Merci Bonsoir,
Pascal

It's already possible through MIDI mapping ;)
NETWORK-ERROR.com
P-Lab

Postby alchemist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, you are right : the cells cannot trigger different MIDI messages, but you can use a MIDI event to select your layer, then affect the visual to the selected layer.

Or duplicate your banks and assign each bank a different MIDI channel.
alchemist
Expert user

Postby PhasedMedia » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:27 pm

or you could use synth mode
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby rolandino » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

i cannot find a de-interlacing option for live video inputs via any grabber hardware like in arkaos vj midi.
if it's not implemented yet, would be great feature to handle live cam stuff
rolandino

Postby P-Lab » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:59 pm

rolandino wrote:i cannot find a de-interlacing option for live video inputs via any grabber hardware like in arkaos vj midi.
if it's not implemented yet, would be great feature to handle live cam stuff

in Grand VJ windows version, go to : Sources / Live inputs / ... and right clic on the video device ... deinterlace on/off
NETWORK-ERROR.com
P-Lab

Postby LJay » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 am

maybe a specialized "fat" hardware (midi) controller with feedback, like the ableton live controller from akai :D
LJay
Normal user

Postby blindskunk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 am

Detachable mastermix window in the right dimensions / option to enter the size aslo !

This would be great as I cant screen grab a full screen, (using the PC - just too much data wizzing around the system ! (1920x1080) I currently resize the window to the appropriate size (640x480), and then screen grab, but have to change the dimesions on the screen grabber output to compensate for the 4:3 to make it 16:9 (resulting file 640x360)

;-)
---------------------------------------
BLINDSKUNK
Eclectic Electronic Music
http://www.blindskunk.com

Intel QX6700 (4 core) 3.2GHz
2 x 8800GTX (4 monitors)
8G of DDR2 Memory
Windows RC 7 (64 bit)
blindskunk
Confirmed user

Postby M-.-n » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 am

I believe you can use the size combo and select the 4:3 -> 16:9 to compensate for the aspect ratio
M-.-n

Postby blindskunk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:46 am

not sure I follow ? (size combo) ?

I cant capture the FULL SCREEN output as there's just too much data wizzing around

I cant seem to resize the master output window ...
(as in aspoect not overall size)

Cheers m8
BLINDSKUNK

2 x 8800GTX (4 monitors)
8G of DDR2 Memory
Windows RC 7 (64 bit)
blindskunk
Confirmed user

Postby M-.-n » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:50 am

you can change the size of the layer as to be presented in 16:9 even if the output is in 4:3. Check the combo in the size/position panel.

You will end up with 4:3 with black border but at least you won't need to rescale it.
M-.-n

Postby blindskunk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 am

Ah I get you now, but I will need to do this with every visual...ok, its definitely a solution ! - Cool....

I'm Getting down to some good Flash integration...at the moment...Does GrandVJ play the latest with no issues, as I'm going to explore the 3D part of flash !
BLINDSKUNK

2 x 8800GTX (4 monitors)
8G of DDR2 Memory
Windows RC 7 (64 bit)
blindskunk
Confirmed user

Postby M-.-n » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 am

it should... let us know of your findings
M-.-n

Re: Future Feature Wishlist - please add yours!

Postby kitchenman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Having upgraded to V1.2. I still seem to be restricted to 16 banks. Is it still the case?
kitchenman

Postby hypnotica » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

For all thoses NUVJ migration to grandVJ i would like to see to see the implemantation of Jog Wheel of the numark controller for the great feel of scratch. Please add the midi assignment to the segment of the clip 8).

Also a must please put the lock option visual tab so that an effect or position cell doesnt erase the active visual on layer.

Layer repositioning by dragging layer number up or down.

Interface optimisation: 1- Tooltip disable option. It makes it hard to move cellls arround when theres a popup.
2- All tabs snap off window, specially the preview window.

Matrix Bank: Be great to have more than 1. Two banks would help to sort out clips specially in battle events. Extratable banks could also be an option.

Effect Scroller 2 : have the option sliding with a black in between slides with delays from black to clip. It's abit like a the strobe but in a slide mode.

Playlist support : have a playlist tab that create a gvjpls file that you can drag and drop a series of file to be played. With option to resort by draging up/down. Export/import. Each playlist is viewed like a folder tree. Import by right click or by dragging the gvjpls file to the tab or cell or layer.

Visual tab update need add simple thumnail view only or detail default or list. Add a simple filename search window if needed. Note that visual tab be great to have it extractable and/or option set on top of matrix bank for easy interraction to bank.

File type support update need to support gvjbank and windows shortcut to drag and drop to any cells.

Interface implemement numeric info box next to each sliders. Specially the visual playback time and time left.
Over 10 years of Visuals Stimulations!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Re:

Postby kitchenman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:06 pm

M-.-n wrote:mmm. you seem to be right. Sorry. I didn't know there was a limitation there. We'll up it in 1.2.

my Bad :(

Has this limitation now been removed?

Please advise - Thanks
kitchenman

Postby pierre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Since version 1.2, the Matrix size is now up to 32x32.
pierre

Postby kitchenman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:36 pm

pierre wrote:Since version 1.2, the Matrix size is now up to 32x32.

I can change the matrix size to 32 /4 which is ok but it doesn't seem to do anything! Do you have an example showing how to create a 32 /4 matrix? - thanks
kitchenman

Postby pierre » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:58 am

Well, I think your Matrix has the size you requested, it's just that you cannot see it until you resize the matrix view, isn't it?
pierre

Postby kitchenman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 am

:oops: Yes! Sorry. Matrix size does work.

I have just realised that matrix size changes does not solve my problem and I can't think why I thought it would! ... my problem is the limit on the number of banks! - I'll post something new so that we can close this matrix size thread! ..
Thanks for your patience! ...
Alan
kitchenman

LIMIT ON NUMBER OF BANKS = 16

Postby kitchenman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:13 am

Can I have more banks please? 32 would be nice, 64 even better!
kitchenman

Novation Launchpad

Postby absentcinema » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

On the recent user survey there was a question about templates for the Novation Launchpad. I've recently acquired one to use in combination with a Korg Nanopad and was wondering if there's any work of a template definitely on track for inclusion in the next update? I don't spend time making my own template if there's an official one right around the corner.
Arts Management & Project Development - http://arts-management.co.uk
absentcinema
Normal user

Postby Jens » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Hello,

my main wish is to use the deklinkcard for output.

Jens
Jens

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing