Kaoss Configuration??

What kind of MIDI devices do you use ? How do you use them ? Have a problem configuring it with GrandVJ? Have a tip to share on how to use it ?
ALL about MIDI keyboards, controllers, adapters etc.. and ArKaos goes here !

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Kaoss Configuration??

Postby danvoyce » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 am

I'm new to this whole midi thing, so please bare with me. I have the Korg KPE1 and am trying see what the capabilities of it is as a midi controller before I go and spend more $$$ on an additional midi controller. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any pointers of how I program this thing, or get my head around all these crazy cc#'s, modulation depth, effect depth, etc?????
danvoyce

Postby crustea » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 am

Hello mate..
That a really good thing to get into Midi, and you'll see that it isn't that complicated at all.

First you don't need to program your KaosPad, it's already sending midi signal by default. First you need to link it to your computer (find some cheap Midi to Usb adapters off ebay or from any music shop, install the drivers, and plug a MIDI cable from KP's midi out to the adapter).

Then make sure that you receive some signal (check arkaos midi preferences, and the Midi "led" in Arkaos might flash when you press buttons on your KP).

Then you can use the pad to control fades and effects depth, transitions, freeframe, launch clips from the buttons and more. You just need to assign you effect to a MIDI element (ex: fade on the y position of the pad).

I made a little soft to makes things easier, you can download it from my blog: http://crustea.vjfrance.com/article-117605.html
Then move your button on the y axis of the pad, and you'll spot easily which value has changed (ex: 120) then double click on a clip, select transparent - controller, and put 120.

Thats it ! Then you can do this with other knobs, buttons..

Now a good challenge is to try to have an interesting link betwen audio effects from the KP and visual effects from Arkaos (ex: audio and visuals echo, or blurs etc..)

Hope this will help, keep us updated !
Image Image
crustea
Expert user

midi monitor

Postby danvoyce » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for your help! I had actually already download your little swf, but for some reason it didnt want to work. I have used another app called midi monitor, it spits out loads numbers when I move my finger on the pad with words like: effect control 1 (coarse ) 44, chorus send level 53, modulation wheel (coarse) 24, tremolo depth 127. And it just gives me a single number when I push a button.
I have the basics set up. Its all hooked up to my mac, Arkaos recieves the signal. But all I can do so far is set a movies transparency (or other property/effect) to 1. and then only the top half of my kaoss pads y axis controls it. Any help understanding this jargon would be great, and how I apply this to Arkaos would be even better.
Thanks Guys!!!
danvoyce

Postby crustea » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Hello..

Oups, I don't know why swf doesn't work for you. Can you see at least the interface but with no value ?
Anyway, I think it's could help you for the future if you learn a bit more about MIDI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_In ... _Interface

The basics thing is that your controller sends different signals:
- buttons send "notes", you can see the keys flashing in red in Arkaos when you press a button / note.
- knobs and faders (and the pad on the Kaospad) sends #CC values. Each element (knob, x and y axis of KP) as an adress (a number from 1 to 127) and you move it, it sends a value (also from 1 to 127, it's a midi standart)

So you use the notes to launch visuals, and CC to change effects values, fades, and everything you can control by changing manually the "controller" value (you have to put the CC adress) but I think you got that point if you managed to change transparency from you KP y-axis.

Keep me updated if you can use my swf or not, because this could help a lot as it did for me..
Image Image
crustea
Expert user

I got it, kinda?

Postby danvoyce » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm

I think I got the Basics! Thanks for all the help! I had to set my Kaoss Pad to controller Number 13, then I was good to go! then the cc# it transmitted into Arkaoss controller number. Thats what I didnt realise before, that the cc# from Kaoss was the number you put into Arkaoss. before I kept putting the controller number that I had set my Kaoss Pad to. Any way, soo much fun! I figured this out at about 1 this morning, so didnt get much sleep. So much to learn.
Not too sure on these notes you are talking about, and how to get them to trigger clips. I have the KPE1. Can it do this with the program buttons?
danvoyce

.swf

Postby danvoyce » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Oh yeah, about your swf. I can see the interface, it just doesnt give me any numbers when I start Kaossing. Im using a mac, but shouldn't make any difference?
danvoyce

Postby JJJ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi guys/gals.

Uing a kaoss 3 pad as a midi controller for Arkaos 3.6 on my PC.

So far all is good as far as assigning notes, cc's, etc.

No luck however with getting BPM functions to respond to midi time code from the KP3.

Ideas??????????
JJJ
JJJ
Expert user

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for VJ/DJ